Old December 5th 05, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US ELT Installation

Eric,

It's a Filser ELT-2, non-TSO european glider ELT. Fits over the spars
in my LS6, with the rubber ducky (and on-off switch) just behind my
headrest.

W & W lists it for $219 or so - I ordered mine from a competitor (who
doesn't seem to carry them any more) and paid half that. Lucky, I
guess, since it was listed for $200 or so.

I installed it myself on my battery tray - it happens to be the same
size as my old (and deceased) GR1000 logger, and fit in the same mount.
Its totally self contained, so no wires to fiddle with, and I don't
have carbon fiber in the fuselage to worry about.

I just arm it before takeoff and check 121.5 on my radio before and
after flight.

The point is - there are a lot of options out there - especially now
that the TSO requirement will apparently be dropped - and cost
shouldn't be a real hindrance. After all, you are adding a good piece
of safety equipment to your glider that is probably as likely to save
your life as your parachute!

Kirk
66