Old January 25th 05, 03:27 PM
Nathan Young

On 24 Jan 2005 23:09:45 -0800, "max" wrote:

If your tablet supports 1024x768 resolution then Jeppview 3.0 is
actually pretty good IMO. It gives you everything from approach plates
to enroute charts. And since pretty much all their stuff is
geo-referenced it will overlay your position on all the charts and
pretty much every approach plate(given a GPS input). Great for
situational awareness.

Geo-referenced or vector based is a nice asset. The Tablet PC is
connected to my Garmin, and I already run moving map software on it,
so it would be nice to add moving map plates.

Where/how are you positioning and viewing your tablet during flight? I
have a tablet and am finding my biggest problem is using it under
actual IFR- no really good place to position it in the 182.

I have a Cherokee 180, and fly solo 90% of the time, so the
passenger seat typically holds the charts, and now holds the tablet
PC. To view the tablet, I occasionally sneak a glance at it. If I
really need to study it, I pick it up and look at it. In both cases,
I use the autopilot as it is not a good idea to be bouncing my focus
between the panel and the front seat.

I have a Fujitsu ST4121 and it is probably too big to yoke mount, but
I have a yoke mounted 295, so I would not want to yoke mount it
anyway. The ST4121 is also a very capable computer (933MHz Pentium
III, 512MB RAM, 50GB HDD), so it is useful outside of the cockpit as
well.

One issue is cabling. Power for the ST4121, USB for the WxWorx
receiver, PCMCIA card/dongle/cable for the serial RS232 to the GPS,
and stereo cable for playing MP3s into the intercom.

In order to reduce cabling, I have been considering adding a 2nd PC to
the cockpit (an older laptop with Wifi) to act as data server,
gathering the WxWorx info + GPS signal, and then relaying them across
Wifi to the ST4121's embedded Wifi receiver. But, who knows when I
will get the time to do the programming for that...

-Nathan