Old December 21st 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Default Happy Winter Solstice Day!

That's what they were attempting to pointing out... but I don't think the
weather bunny had a clue as to what the tele-prompter was telling her. The
map showed the times as being one hour a part for each time zone which
equaled being the same moment in time everywhere. It had her totally
flustered and confused.
Jim

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Yesterday the Weather Channel went on and on and on for at least 15
minutes
about when winter would officially begin in EACH time zone! It was an
amazing display of stupidity.

They had a map showing each time zone's official start of winter,
including
the time down to the second. Yep, each time zone was only different

from
the next by, you guessed it.... EXACTLY one hour! [...]

Of course, the dumbest thing about that is that there's only ONE actual
time at which winter starts. This year, it's at 12:22am on Dec 22nd,

UTC.

In other words, celebrating the "start of winter" in each time zone, one
hour apart is incorrect, as is celebrating it at all yet. The start of
winter hasn't happened yet. As I write this post, it's still nearly six
hours away.

Pete

But celebrating it at 0022 UTC you have to celebrate it a UTC -4,-5,-6...