Old October 21st 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James M. Knox

Default cancer??

~D~ wrote in
:

That's something I never could understand. I was treated for thyroid
cancer (surgery & radiation) in 1996. I've been cancer free ever
since. Yet when I went in for my student pilot medical last year, the
cancer seemed to be an issue. I don't understand why, as I have not
had cancer for 10 years. Why would not having cancer be an issue? Are
they afraid I'm going to have an attack of cancer while flying and be
incapacitated? Just one of those FAA mysteries I suppose.

Debbie

So maybe it ISN'T just me!!!

I had cancer about 12 years ago. Surgery and a year of chemo... no
problems since. Technically, I never even lost my medical - since I had
a brand new medical not long before the cancer was detected, and I self-
grounded as necessary during the treatment. Afterwards, I sent them 14
pounds of documentation (yes, I paid for the shipping, that's what it
came to) at their request, and that was that. No special issuance, just
a normal third class medical.

About three weeks ago I suddenly got a letter from the FAA (remember,
I've had a medical continually during the intervening 12 years) saying
that because I have cancer they are reviewing my right to continue
flying. I have 30 days to respond or emergency revocation. yada yada
yada.

So I sent them a letter from my oncologist saying that I was still
alive, etc. Haven't heard anything since. We'll see...

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1300 Koenig Lane West fax 512-371-5716
Suite 200