Old June 9th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
John Ewing

Default The real benefits of high fuel prices

"Bernd Felsche" wrote in message
"John Ewing" none@needed wrote:
"Michael Henry" wrote:
Stealth Pilot wrote:

the other thing I like about high fuel prices is that the chinese have
to pay them as well. that'll slow the buggers down. maybe the jobs
will stop being exported over to them in the long run.

That's a pretty archaic view! It is Chinese demand for our natural
resources which is making the Australian dollar so strong! As Ben Lee
said
"We're all in this together"

I'm of the opinion that high fuel prices are good for another reason: it
makes alternative fuels more viable. I look forward to the day when
we're
all running aero-diesels burning biofuel. (The current perception by
consumers that biofuel is responsible for high food prices is rubbish.
Destruction of native forests for the planting of feedstock is a bigger
issue. We'll work it out eventually...)

Skip biofuel ... go straight to zero pollution hydrogen powered vehicles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle
http://www.science.org.au/nova/063/063print.htm

Zero-pollution? How are you going to get the hydrogen?

From water probably using solar cells. Recent developments have
dramatically increased their efficiency, and there is likely to be further
improvements.

Safely? Onto the aircraft?

Safely? Innovative reckoning would suggest liquid hydrogen
Hope we are not going to recount the old "hydrogen is too dangerous - look
what happened to the airships"
To be honest I was considering that we'd get surface vehicles converted
before we try aircraft.
I am not claiming it is a proven or fully researched option at the present
time, but it has greater potential than most other alternative energy
sources.

Hydrogen, unless it's been extracted directly from fossil sources,
is only a storage medium for the energy needed to produce it. And at
that, it's certainly not perfectly efficient.

Very few things in life are perfectly efficient.
Sorry - you've lost me. Not sure what your point is.

Cheers,
John

\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | Great minds discuss ideas;
X against HTML mail | Average minds discuss events;
/ \ and postings | Small minds discuss people. -- Eleanor
Roosevelt