Old July 27th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike[_22_]

Default ASR Approach - Doing the Controller a Favor

wrote in message
I was asked if I would accept an ASR approach into a satellite airport
for controller training. I said, sure no problem. I got a wide
vector that put me on a 15 mile final. The controller gave me a "10
miles from airport, complete pre-landing checklist". I've never heard
that one before - it was a military radar facility.

Anyway, I reported the airport in sight about 8 miles out and the
controller terminated me and gave me the standard "squawk VFR,
frequency change approved".

My question is: Should I have waited to report "airport in sight"?
The tone in the controllers voice gave me the impression that I
somewhat ruined the training for the rookie by reporting the airport
for far out. I was 8 miles out at 1500, the mins were 440 feet and
one mile from the runway.

In hindsight, I wish I would have asked the controller if they wanted
to continue the ASR to mins. Is "airport in sight" the magic phrase
that cue the controller to let me go?

Yes.