Old June 27th 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Sky Surfer

Default Sailplane wing joint

Thanks for the response, Bob W.Â* As a new poster, I did notice the spammers' infestation of this forum, which I thought was really informative when it was more active.Â* Just wondering if the spammers or a decline in amateur aircraft homebuilding is more responsible for this site's near demise.

At about the time I posted, Jim M. replied to my email.Â* He said, "why throw other unknown forces into a joint when you don't have to", which mirrors what you said.Â* That reasoning does help my understanding.

Though, I'm picturing the Schreder wing spar "knuckles" joint where one of the connecting pins goes through the knuckles AND an anchor tab welded to the midpoint of fuselage cross tube.Â* I guess that anchor mostly aligns the knuckles for rigging and maybe makes the spar joint a little less "plastic". Spar knuckles and tongues are different, but spar movement near the fuselage centerline exist in both geometries.

I do visit RAS and will likely post related inquiries there.