Old December 20th 04, 03:29 AM
Gord Beaman

"Tex Houston" wrote:

What amazes me is that they took a fighter pilot (however skilled
at piloting a fighter), checked him out in a C-130 Hercules (a
bird of a QUITE different feather) and let him attempt this
pretty dangerous mission when there's likely many hundreds of
pilots MUCH more skilled in handling a Herc than him.
--

-Gord.

Two tasks involved, landing on a carrier and landing a C-130...I submit
landing on the carrier may be the more difficult. While assault type
landings are practiced by C-130 pilots they aren't directed toward a moving
target. Purely opinion, mind you.

Tex

For sure...yes, as you say two tasks. I suppose there must have
been very solid reasons...and likely quite heated opinions on
both sides during the planning stages...the Military isn't known
for doing serious things like this willy-nilly.

It was likely as you say, although I'm sure some might think that
there were ulterior motives, I doubt it on second thought.
Thanks.
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)