Old December 17th 03, 04:25 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
news:YeJDb.407758$275.1280770@attbi_s53...

Over recent Thanksgiving weekend, I went to San Jose with one stopover,
Dallas. I noticed and unusual procedure at Dallas. After boarding the
American S-80 (MD-80), the plane was ready for a push-back. All of sudden,
I heard engines roared loud as the plane push-back at higher than normal
speed. I was confused at first, but became clear when I spotted a S-80,

that
parked next to us, used the same procedure. They do not use the tug to aid
the push-back. They rely on engines to push the plane back. Same thing
occurred on returning trip. This must be a common practice at Dallas.
Anybody know why they use this procedure. I thought this procedure is

banned
due to ground deaths. This information is based on early jet age period.

It's called a powerback. Not all that unusual.