Old December 17th 03, 05:27 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Frederick Wilson wrote:

You should see C-130s do it. They drive right up to a build to be load
backward. Freakiest thing I ever saw when I was in jump school.

I read once about a procedure for backing up a B-17. Lock the right brake and
run the right outer engine up to full power while idling the other three. That
will pull the right wingtip forward, which has the effect of pushing the left
wing backwards. Then idle the right outer, lock the left brake, relax the right
brake and run the left outer up to full power. Repeat as necessary.

Since it's pretty rough on the engines, this was usually only used when a plane
missed the last turnoff and had to vacate the runway as soon as possible.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."