Old October 8th 04, 11:03 PM
Stefan

Marco Rispoli wrote:

If I am clear air (VFR), and I am not close to mountains (so I don't have to
worry about mountain waves), and I am flying around in my little cutie Piper
Cherokee 180 do I even need to worry about turbulence?

First, mountain waves cause up and downdrafts, but they are as smooth as
you can imagine. What you mean is rotor. Well, if you really want to
know how turbulence really feels, go to your friendly glider operator
somewhere in the mountains when there is wave and ask for a ride into a
rotor. As a side effect, you will also learn what a "steep turn" is.

Back to your question: There is no point in demonstrating how brave you
are. If you feel uncomfortable, slow down to Va. there is nothing wrong
in staying on the safe side.

Stefan