Old February 14th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Magic Fingers

Default Flaps 40 Degrees

This becomes an issue of personal preference. If you feel more comfortable
with 20-30 degrees of flaps, that's fine. There may be occasions you'll
want to use full flaps (short runway, for example).
I have a lot of time instructing in 172s, and I own a 182. I rarely use
more 20 degrees of flaps on landing. I find that a slightly higher pitch
angle results in a more consistently gentle touchdown.
My opinion, for what it's worth.
Pat Brown
CFII Airplane/Glider

"Ken Kose" wrote in message

This is a great group and I'd like to ask another question that's been
burning me. I rent a 172N which has the capability of 40 degrees of
flaps. My instructor says, depending on wind conditions, I should use
40 degrees every chance I get. It allows me to slow the plane as much
as possible before touching down. I always seem to have a harder time
landing with 40 degrees. Either I will bounce a little (I think because
of the steep descent) or balloon with a little too much back pressure in
the flare. After doing a little research on the web, I found out that
Cessna reduced the flap range on the next model 172P to 30 degrees max.
They said it was to add a little more to the max takeoff weight. I have
read that there were several accidents during go arounds because the
172N barely climbs with 40 degrees and you have to retract to 20
degrees immediately during a go around. Anyways, my instructor still
says use 40 if wind conditions permit. I find I make smoother landings
with 20 degrees and don't have to worry about flap adjustments if a go
around is called for. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

--
Ken Kose