Old December 15th 17, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default Multiple varios

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 12:24:37 -0800, john firth wrote:

BTW, which Elec varios have an audible sink alarm; the old Cambridge
audio was useless in sink as airspeed noise over 60-70 kts covered the
LF tone.

Borgelt B.40 (and probably other Borgelts as well).

SDI C3 and C4 (he says, naming varios I have a lot of time in the air
with). These have two tomes for climb/sink in climb (TE) mode and another
two for speed up/slow down in cruise (super Netto mode), but my C4
doesn't have a silent band between lift/sink in climb mode, so I turn the
sink option off because I don't need a sink noise to tell me I'm in
searching for lift in somewhat bouyant air at best glide that's just
reducing my sink speed half the dead air value.

This lack of a silent band is a bad feature, of a lot of varios including
some of the LX ones. Ideally it should default to the region between zero
sink and -2kts and its lower limit should be configurable.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie