Old June 15th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default High-Altitude Torpedo Launch

wrote:

Well, to get the "real" scoop on how Sniffer works you'd have to ask
Julie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except that -she- wouldn't 'kiss and tell'

From my trusty NATOPS the AN/ASR-3 detected particulate matter from
diesel exhaust. It took in an air sample, analyzed it (I don't
remember how), and gave a visual and aural indication. It could be
set for sensitivity. It would give an "in trail" and "out of trail"
mark that the crew would plot, then reverse course to re-enter the
trail gaining additional "marks." Eventually you had a rough course
for the target.

Not only would it detect a snorting pig boat, it would also detect
destroyers, merchant ships, fishing boats, and the entire East Coast
of the U.S.!!!!! In other words, whatever value it had in open ocean
conditions was quickly lost as you approached crowded waters or
polution filled urban areas.

Of course, if the sub can hear a 'bouy splashing down that gives the
aircraft a deception opportunity by "shotgunning" an area with a
'bouys and decoys. That could be an effective tactic in some
circumstances.

Yes, I remember those, we didn't use it much, pretty imprecise as
you indicate...perhaps it worked sort of like a household smoke
detector?...we used to call it "Ash in" and "Ash out" as the
detector gained and lost the 'scent'...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)