Old November 8th 03, 02:01 AM
Greg Goodknight

"ArtP" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:54:41 -0800, wrote:

If the missed approach on the IAP says something like:

heading of 270 to 4000
Intercept the XXX VOR R-180
Direct to XXX VOR

What should you do if you get to R-180 before you get to 4000?

Keep climbing on 270 to 4000?

Turn and track the R-180 while climbing?

Follow the procedure (keep climbing on 270 until 4000 feet then turn
back to intercept the radial. It is possible that unless you are at
4000 you may not want to be on that radial.

I think it far more likely that ATC will expect the pilot to remain on the
specified course and if an obstruction was a problem there would be a
minimum gradient specified or a minimum crossing.

I would interpret the above missed instruction as "climb and maintain 4000,
maintain heading of 270 to intercept the 180 radial inbound..." without a
second thought.

Perhaps an example from "nospam" of an actual plate would be more
instructive.

-Greg

The IAP has no minimum climb gradient specified.

What minimum climb gradient is assumed if none is specified?

200 feet per nautical mile.