Old November 5th 03, 12:11 AM

Newps wrote:

There are times where the reason does not have to be stated because it
is obvious, that is one of them. Just like when you are told to hold
short of the runway, if it's obvious that there is an aircraft on final
then I don't have to tell you why you are holding short.

No, it's not obvious to me that you telling me to hold short of the runway
is because an aircraft is on final. It could be that, it could be a hold by
the departure controller, or it could be a hold for flow control. It's
unimportant to me, because holding short of the runway cannot place me in
harm's way.

If LAX tower tells me to maintain runway heading, I agree that it is to be a
vector. Plus, there is nothing for me to run into for many miles at that
airport.

OTOH, if KMRY tells me to maintain runway heading I have heartburn. It
depends entirely on the location and the circumstances. It is simply not
black and white.