Old April 7th 05, 03:03 PM
DHead

Hmmm...what a coincidence.
I am presently being taught VOR as a student pilot in AZ. My instructor told
me that that will be the way I'll be taught to fly cross country.
I do plan on getting my instrument rating so it will be very useful.

Gary
"Roy Smith" wrote in message
I flew with somebody recently who just got their instrument rating a few
months ago, in a GPS-equipped airplane. His GPS and BAI skills were fine,
but when I suggested we fly one leg without the GPS, just using VORs and a
chart for en-route navigation, he said he had never done that in training.

He was taught that if the GPS should ever die, the fallback would be to
use
the #2 radio to request vectors. The only real use he had made of VORs
was
to fly a VOR approach (mostly partial-panel, because that's what the
checkride required), never en-route. Is this really the way new
instrument
students are being taught these days? Is the VOR already dead in the
classroom?