Old April 7th 05, 07:07 PM
Andrew Gideon

William W. Plummer wrote:

GPSÂ*isÂ*easyÂ*toÂ*learnÂ*afterÂ*fullÂ*trainingÂ*o nÂ*the
standard instruments.

I don't see the logic behind this. You'll learn to fly an ILS; why not a
GPS?

Yes, you absolutely should learn to fly w/o the GPS. Similarly, you should
learn to fly w/o the ADF, the AI, etc.

But I'd not put off GPS training any more than I'd put off VOR training.
It's a part of instrument flying, so learn it.

[Of course, if you don't have a GPS or an ADF, that's a different matter.
There's little reason to learn to fly a 2005 GPS if you don't think you'll
be flying a GPS for several years. Sadly, there's enough difference in the
UIs to make that less than fully efficient.]

- Andrew