Old November 23rd 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Oximeter's

I did an O2 system for much less than that. I got hold of an O2 system
that emphysema patients drag around behind them (all I wanted was the
tank adapter and flowmeter) traded the old empty cylinder in on a fresh
full one. Had a nurse friend of mine procure a couple of nasal cannulas
and I'm good to go.

I don't fly high enough to use it, I carried it with me on the
cross-the-pond trip just in case.

I'm going to try it at night sometime to see if the vision thing is
noticeable.

Robert

Longworth wrote:
Cecil,
If I am not mistaken, using oxygen at night at low altitude is
mainly to help with vision. We rarely fly at night except for night
currency at local airport and maybe at twilight or shortly after sunset
on long cross-country trips. The oximeter just tells you whether you
need oxygen or not. By itself it does not help with high altitude or
night flying except telling you that you'd better go lower or land ;-)
I'd think that putting the 200+dollars towards the purchase of oxygen
on board is a better idea. One person complete system sells for
something like $450. Emergency hand-held system selling for something
like $320.

Hai Longworth