Old April 2nd 10, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Default barnyard, its on your head....

sounds to me that it flies just like the W8 Tailwind ...something that
I'm quite happy with.

your main gear legs are solid Wittman style tempered 6150 tapered rods
if they are built according to the plans. they arent tubes.

relating Tailwind experiences here on the same sort of undercarriage
setup...
the thin 5.00x5 tyres that were originally on my aeroplane had to be
pumped to exactly 25psi or the aeroplane was a ******* to land.
I noticed a counter display showing a 5.00x5 tyre with almost twice
the tread thickness of the normal tyre. I swapped to using those just
to get longer times between replacements. they work well, really well.
I can now have tyre pressures anywhere between 22 and 30psi and I dont
notice any difference. the tendency for landing bounce is gone as
well.
if you get any shimmy in the main gear on landing the cause is
brinelling of the single bolt at the top of the leg causing it to
become a loose fit. sure sign of this is the shimmy vanishing on the
application of light braking. replace the bolt and it should be sweet
again.

Related to Tailwind gear, my W-10 main legs were 3" longer than the W8 specs.
I think Van lengthened the legs on the 4 and 6 as well.

That makes everything come together smoothly.

And the current way to build the W-10 adds a stout clamp to the mount where the
leg exits the engine mount tube. That helps keep the leg from twisting and
causing a loose fit at the retention bolt (top).

The Tailwind design has come a long way since the early days.

Jim Clement's hot rod W-10...
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N169WH.html
Tricycle...
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/379578.html