Old January 28th 20, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Avionics and moisture

Sorry, should have been more specific.

The problems:

There was condensation on the inner glass of the 302 and the mechanical vario.

The 302 did not boot up properly. I thought it was toast.

Leaving the glider in the sun for a couple of days solved both problems.

Since installing a combo fan/heater in the trailer I have had no problems. My first "fix" was using Damp-Rid in the cockpit. The Damp-Rid did work, but it was a pain to constantly pull the glider out to swap out the Damp-Rid.

My moving map is a PDA which is kept in the shop on charge except when flying, so no problems there.

My operating assumption is that condensation on glider electronics will hasten their demise. Would it make sense to leave a laptop or cell phone in the glider trailer subject to condensation all winter?

P9