Old March 28th 20, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Much Ado About Nothing

On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 12:16:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
"I never noticed a difference either on take off or tow."

I don't agree, CG is more pleasing to fly on tow. Since there is little torque on the glider from the cable, a CG hook provides more options for holding position.

The CG hook is also quite stable (as in stick won't help) in a nose high, cable low, elevator stalled configuration. Which is fine unless you happen to be tied a tow plane also with a stalled elevator at the time. This is extremely unlikely to happen if the glider pilot understands the possibility and proactively doesn't go there. Sadly, we sometimes don't include this possibility in training and so it does happen.

Game on

It's night time in Australia, guys :-).

Nose hook for aero tow is a JAR thing now, and unlikely to change. It's my view that a (well designed and located) nose hook is safest for aero tow.

Some CG only gliders are pussycats on tow, have perfect manners.

Some nose hook equipped gliders have dangerous pitching tendencies.

Inattentive glider pilots have killed tow pilots with both types.

200' tow rope (or longer) and Tost release on both ends is good.

Switched on pilots with good training and procedures is best.

T8