Old July 24th 03, 08:34 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:32:38 GMT, "Marty Ross"
wrote:

I recently realized that I should not have included any "actual" (IMC) time
recorded in my logbook as PIC time while I was an instrument student.

What makes you think that?

To log PIC time:

61.51(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A recreational, private,
or commercial pilot may log pilot-in- command time only for that flight
time during which that person --

(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the
pilot is rated;

Were you not 'rated' in the aircraft?

To log instrument time:

61.51(g) Logging instrument flight time. (1) A person may log instrument
time only for that flight time when the person operates the aircraft solely
by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight
conditions.

Neither paragraph says anything about needing to have an instrument rating;
or even about being qualified to ACT as PIC in the aircraft.

You do have to be rated. In other words, if you are a private pilot with a
Single-Engine Land rating, you cannot log PIC time in a Multi-Engine
aircraft (or a balloon, glider, etc).

Just remember: the rules for LOGGING PIC bear no relationship to the rules
for ACTING as PIC.