Old May 14th 15, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default alternative to iGlide for iPhone (6 plus)

On a more serious note, Bob's complaint and Sean's (and others') rather
aggressive responses simply support the notion of "Diff'rent strokes for
diff'rent folks)".

I make no bones that I'm a fan of XCSoar. Maybe iGlide allows task
generation if 3 less keystrokes, but who cares? I've got all day.
Heck, I can even build and declare a task today for a flight tomorrow.
I like XCSoar the best because it's the one I have the most experience
with. My glider came with WinPilot but the former owner told me about
XCSoar and I bought a Mio GPS and gave it a try. For someone who'd
never used a moving map before (military, airlines, corporate, gliding)
it was eye-opening!

The only shortcomings were power and sunlight readability. Then a
friend showed me his Dell Streak 5 and I found I could read it with the
sun shining over my shoulder! This is 5+ year old technology, folks!
Why haven't all the makers of portable devices tried transflective
technology? Anyway, for $100 brand new on eBay and with free software,
why would you want anything else? Seriously, who needs realtime doppler
radar overlays while soaring?

I submit that any one of us can get used to any of these products and
become quite proficient with it. Then, upon having difficulty operating
a new interface, it's easy to claim that the first is better than the
second.

On 5/14/2015 10:03 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Apostate!

I imagine that somewhere in Silicon Valley they're heating up the
cauldrons of tar for you...

On 5/13/2015 7:08 AM, Bob Pasker wrote:
I have been using iGlide now for about 20 flights, and I really don't like it very much. It is riddled with bugs (which I have duly reported to Butterfly only to hear "yes, we're aware of that"), the user experience is terrible (and I speak as someone who has worked in user interaction and user experience for years), and the documentation is woefully out of date (last updated 2/2013) and incomplete. So I have wasted $33.

Are there other apps that people recommend for IoS?

thanks, bob

--
Dan Marotta

--