Old May 14th 15, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default alternative to iGlide for iPhone (6 plus)

....Use two fingers and drag to pan.

There are so many things in the XCSoar user's guide. How many of you
have looked through that? Not complete enough (at close to 200 pages)?
Jump in and make updates!

On 5/14/2015 10:12 AM, jfitch wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 3:21:13 PM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 May 2015 16:49:47 UTC+1, Sean Fidler wrote:
Funny. I find iGlide to be excellent (particularly the UI) and have found very few bugs (both were addresses within days for me) after using it extensively for over 2 years (so far) in numerous contests and cross country flights and in many environments (mountains, flatlands, complex airspace). In my experience, some people just do not get iOS fundementals. Could this, perhaps, be the case for you? What did you not like?

I also have extensive UI design background. I find the iGlide UI to be far superior to any other small portable device soaring software including XC Soar. It requires far less steps to do the majority of critical ot common functions and most pilots I have spoken with find it intuitive and simple to use. This is just my opinion of course.

I have extensive experience with WinPilot, Strepla, SeeYou (Oudie 1 and 2) and XC Soar as well on multiple devices.

I am a member of a firm which primarily consults (and also helps develop) custom mobile applications (typically financial services). UI differentiators (IP, etc) is usually a critical topic.

Please list here (since you flamed it so sharply) all the bugs you found with iGlide, especially the ones the developer acknowledged as "known" bugs. Since you bought the $39 version of iGlide, clearly you have no experience with tasking, etc., correct?

If you want to to talk about terrible UI, I give you SeeYou mobile. Would you not agree?

Then again, UI is a fairly subjective subject and a matter of personal preference.

Can you provide an example of soaring UI's that you approve of?

Thanks!

It would be much appreciated if one of you guys who prefer the iGlide and XCSoar UI to SYM could put up a video of setting a task on iGlide and/or XCS. Would anyone be prepared to do that?

I find it much easier to set tasks and to change zoom levels on SYM than on XCS, but maybe I am missing the efficient ways to do things in XCS. I particularly like being able to customise the map screen of SYM fully flexibly to use my preferred combination of overlays and navboxes, and stats are very easy to find. For iGlide, I played with the lite version and it seemed hopeless, but I never looked at a manual and have never seen the full version so have not done it justice. However, since I have just changed my phone from iOs to a Galaxy S6 I am not going to pursue iGlide.

Tasking is a deeper subject, but zooming: On XCSoar, simply drag up or down to zoom. The problem there is the touch screen is really poor and making it recognize the drag is tedious and uncertain. On iGlide, simply pinch to zoom, like you do on every other iPhone app. To pan, just touch and drag, no need for a pan mode like XCSoar has. The touch screen on the iPhone 6 is very good, noticeably better than the 5s and worlds apart from the Oudie/Avier/V2. Heck even the old iPaqs were better than that. The redraw speed of the iPhone 6 and iGlide is also worlds apart.

--
Dan Marotta