Old July 7th 03, 10:10 AM
Simon Elliott

Binyamin Dissen writes
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 20:07:14 +0000 (UTC) "Jean-Pierre"
wrote:

:Maybe buy European Airbus and show some solidarity with Europe rather than
:it always being the other way round

Yeah, you Europeans were a real help in WW2.

I'm pleased to learn that we Europeans had so little to do with WW2.
Takes a load off my mind. I'd hate to think that my parents' generation
really had to go through any of that stuff.

The story of London and other British cities being bombed by the
Luftwaffe was probably made up by 1960s planners as an excuse for some
of their bad discussions.

All those who sailed under the white duster, burning with 100-octane
filled tankers, or freezing in the water, unpaid after the first torpedo
hit their ship: safety standards weren't what they are now, or perhaps
the shipowners did it for the insurance?

The squadrons of British, French, Czech, Polish fighter pilots? Probably
drinking tea in the mess while the Eagle Squadrons did most of the real
fighting.

Jan Kubis and Joseph Gabcik? Probably bull****ters. Reinhard Heydrich
was a notorious bad driver.

I was talking to an elderly man the other day. He was reminiscing about
flying Lancaster bombers over the Ruhr. It's a relief to know from your
comments that he's probably senile and his memories are playing him
false. Poor chap, he probably thinks that most of his colleagues died in
action, when actually he's just forgotten their phone numbers.

Then there was the father of a friend, who allegedly was given the
responsibility of documenting one of the concentration camps in Germany,
immediately after it had been liberated by allied forces. There must be
some other reason why he never slept too well after WW2.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/