Old September 10th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default IPAQ 6315

On Sep 8, 7:13 am, David Kinsell wrote:
Phil Collin wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 6, 4:14 pm, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:
Is it just me or does the potential of using an iPhone also as a
Glide Comp
seem like a cool idea.

I don't have one, nor do I plan to in the near future (maybe when the
price
comes down another $200).
But I was just thinking about the devices I do use on occasion, PDA,
mobile
phone, internet desktop, flight computer, all combined into one
critter would
be kinda neat.

Whattya think?

I use an iPAQ 6315, does all of the above.

Gary, what software do you run on your IPAQ , do you use a remote GPS
receiver and how have you mounted it and powered it in the cockpit. I
ask as I wish to install one in my PIK but am unsure what to get etc.

Thanks

Phil

You might want to read the reviews on the 6315 carefully before making
a decision. It was their first (and worst) attempt to crack the cell
phone market, and had so many issues that T-Mobile dropped it early.
Even if you ignore the poor cell performance, you're left with a
terribly unimpressive PDA.

Hardware issues aside, having a cell phone combined with a flight
computer really doesn't make sense. If you have to bail out, wouldn't
you rather the cell went with you, rather than going down with the ship?
This is particularly important if you've got a PLB or ELT, in that you
may be able to communicate the seriousness of the emergency to rescuers.

For now, I'll stick with a nice, small, reliable cell phone and go for
a big, high-res screen PDA thingie if I want moving maps, a media
player, and a web-surfing appliance. The hw4700 looks like a decent
choice, if running the common soaring software is required.

-Dave

Maybe my standards are low but the ipaq 6315 has done everything I
like from audio to ebooks to mapping software to gps programs, to phone