Old June 15th 04, 03:26 PM
Brian Case

Actually, this is a common misconception, but there is no such thing as an
inside wing stall on any turn, unless it is a very shallow turn in a
pre-stall configuration, and the pilot suddenly applies aileron opposite the
turn, in which case the inside wing will stall first.

I had to think about this for a while. My thought process when
something like this:

If the AOA is the same on the inside and outside wing there will be no
tendency for the wing to stall one way or the other.

In a coordinated turn the AOA should be the same on the inside and
outside wing. This is obviously true in level flight and in 90degree
bank turn.

However in a 45 degree bank turn it is obvious that the inside wing
travels less distance than the outside wing in 360 degree turn, thus
it must be flying at a lower relative airspeed than the outside wing.

It turns out that this is what causes overbanking tendency. To
compensate for overbanking tendancy the aircraft must have short wings
and/or a lot of dihedral. Dihedrall effectivaly increases the wing
area of the inside wing so and increase in AOA is not required. If
there is not enought dihedral for the turn then the overbanking
tendancy must be compensated for by the ailerons which increase the
angle of attack of the inside wing. Thus you get an inside wing stall.
A 2-33 should demostrate this very will as it has a very large
overbanking tendancy.