Old July 9th 03, 06:10 AM
Happy Dog

"Highfllyer" wrote in message

"Jeff Franks" wrote in message

JFK Jr. wasn't yet rated and he didn't have a close call; he died and
took two people with him. The only positive is that his own criminal
negligence killed him as well as his passengers.

I wasn't aware that night flight required a rating...if we're gonna be
literal in here lets go all the way.

JFK Jr. was almost rated. He certainly had a great deal more instrument
time than the average PPL.

He had all the training required that he authorities think is necessary to
manoeuver a plane in IMC. If someone wants to make the argument that this
level of training is insufficient, then present evidence.

JFK was flying on a night when the weather was legally VFR.

If he HAD realized that it could be ACTUALLY IFR, while still being easily
VFR LEGALLY and as reported by the aviation weather people he might not

have
messed up.

He shouldn't have messed up that badly. How many more hours under the hood
would prevent this?

He got in trouble because he was flying using tried and proven VFR
techniques on a legally VFR night when VFR techniques would not work.

That
can happen ANYTIME at night, even on a clear night. It is all a matter of
visual reference.

Flying at night is instrument flying if you're actually going anywhere.
(This comment is not directed towards the poster to which I'm responding.)
And, with instrument flying skills, it's no big deal. But it is often real
IMC stuff.
moo