Old May 10th 04, 01:25 AM
Fred Collins

I have no experience in Mexico specifically, so there may be issues
with which I am unfamiliar, but in general:

1.Start out in a J-3, Super Cub, Citabria or similar if at all
possible. Even Air Force UPT grads who started in Tweets develop
issues that people who start out in a real trainer don't.

2. If you can afford it get a good instrument simulator , after you
are a VFR pilot, and spend a lot of time with it. They have come down
in price since the ridiculous old ATC 610.

3. U.S. ideas of how to do things in the warped little fish pond
known as general aviation in the US are insurance-driven. Since you
are presumably a Mexican national going to be owning a XE-registered
airplane, your situation will (may?) differ radically, so don't get
caught up on our insurability if you are going to be self-insured or
purchasing insurance under what may be wholly different rules. You can
afford to put safety ahead of insurability in that case!

4. Ditto the regulations. I have no idea of what regs south of the
border are but I know there are differences which may work in your
favor.