Old July 16th 04, 01:28 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 01:58:52 -0400, jls wrote:

What's the weight penalty for not stripping an old 172, just painting over
the old paint, after sanding it first, of course. I'm new at this but
willing to make a go of it. I'd like to use a high-gloss polyurethane and

It depends on what paint you use, but I'd guess 10 - 15 lbs would be added
to the plane.

What you're proposing to do is why I don't like to buy planes that have
been repainted. Weight is weight and someday you'll want that extra
amount back and it will cost a lot of money to strip and refinish again.

So, if you're doing it yourself take some extra time and do it right,
you'll be pleased at the results.