Old July 16th 04, 08:41 PM
Joe Vasher

" jls" wrote in message .. .
What's the weight penalty for not stripping an old 172, just painting over
the old paint, after sanding it first, of course. I'm new at this but
willing to make a go of it. I'd like to use a high-gloss polyurethane and
some bright colors. TIA for your advice. I've been receiving a lot of
priceless advice in this forum lately, and in a yahoogroups forum. For
which I am grateful.

BTW, the top done on the O-300 has been wonderful. Millenium cylinders,
rocker arms rebuilt. The engine has around 8 hours and hasn't even used
any oil. I am impressed. The rings are seated now and she has all kinds
of power. Well, at least for an O-300. After flying a Taylorcraft the
flaps are fun too. And so is flying at night.

Don't DO THAT! It works out to more like 30 pounds, Just try to
wrangle a good ice stripper(its not to messing the ice particles melts
when your done, and you just sweep up the paint after a day or so.
from someone using that to remove the paint. It will cost you a few
hundred more (4 - 5)