Old October 6th 03, 04:28 PM
Mike Rapoport

This is true if the snow being produced is the flake type which results from
the direct crystalization of water vapor. The round "pellet" type snow
results from the freezing of liquid cloud droplets. Clouds that are snowing
a lot of pellet type snow have a lot of ice in them.

Mike
MU-2

"Peter R." wrote in message
Ray Andraka ) wrote:

The lake effect weather produces some of the worst icing in the country.
Even if you can go over it, consider what your options are should you

need
to land now.

Ray, is this true when these lake effect clouds are actually producing
snow?

I received my instrument ticket out of Syracuse, NY (just south of the

OP's
lake effect band area in question) last winter. My instructor told me,
which was also confirmed by a meteorologist at an AOPA safety seminar,

that
clouds producing large amounts of snow have very little water in them for
icing.

Additionally, I purposely flew a few hours of IMC with my instructor last
year in heavy lake effect snow bands (albeit never higher than 4,000 ft -
temps around 10-20 degrees F) and, during those flights, we did not
experience any icing.

--
Peter

News==----