Old January 21st 04, 02:30 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "C J Campbell" said:
I have no problem with flying the ILS at 90 or 100 knots if the ceiling is
well above minimums, but it seems to me that if the ceiling is 200 feet
overcast you ought to be flying the approach slowly enough that you can land
at that speed. You don't need to configure for a short field landing, but
you are not going to slow from 90 knots to 60 in a Skyhawk in only 200 feet
of altitude, especially if you can't risk ballooning back up into the soup.

I regularly shoot approaches at 110 knots in the Archer or 120 knots in
the Dakota, and don't touch the throttle until the flare. Granted, I
haven't done it to minimums in actual, but I've done it under the hood,
and I don't gain any altitude. Sure you float down the runway, but if
you've got 8000 feet, you've got plenty of room for it. And ATC
appreciates a fast approach when they've got a 767 on your tail.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I didn't need to sabotage anything. Not being around to say "No that