Old January 21st 04, 02:43 AM
C J Campbell

"plumbus bobbus" wrote in message
news:SylPb.109551$8H.237126@attbi_s03...

| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
|
| I have no problem with flying the ILS at 90 or 100 knots if the ceiling
is
| well above minimums, but it seems to me that if the ceiling is 200 feet
| overcast you ought to be flying the approach slowly enough that you can
| land
| at that speed. You don't need to configure for a short field landing,
but
| you are not going to slow from 90 knots to 60 in a Skyhawk in only 200
| feet
| of altitude, especially if you can't risk ballooning back up into the
| soup.
|
| I am not sure I understand. Slowing from 90 kts to landing from 200 feet
| should not be a problem for a moderately skilled pilot on an average sized
| ILS runway (4000 ft or more).
|
| That is what one would expect from an instrument rated pilot, no?

You would expect that, but observation teaches otherwise. Reaction time
after breaking out of the clouds may be a factor. There is always a little
disorientation. The newer 172s are surprisingly slippery, especially if you
are not using any flaps. Add to that a pilot that may not be all that
current and I think you have trouble.