Old September 2nd 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
peter

Default Garmin 496 PIREP -- Navigating while Driving

Jay Honeck wrote:
Okay, so it's not quite aviation related, but we DID use the 496's
capability today to navigate by road to Blakesburg -- the annual AAA
(Antique Aircraft Association) fly-in.

snip

Jay, is there a service that provides periodic updates to the 496's road
and food service database? If so, how is this done and what does this
cost?

I'm not sure, but I presume that is updated at the same time that you
purchase the Jeppesen updates?

The street maps and businesses/etc. (called POIs) are part of Garmin's
CityNavigator software. Updates come out annualy each summer and
currently cost $75. Garmin gets the street data from NavTeq which also
supplies most of the other automotive navigation makers.