Old July 9th 03, 09:32 AM
Keith Willshaw

"The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:04:27 GMT,
(Drazen Kramaric) wrote:

The potential enemies were well-known, and the war was launched on a
German timetable, as Adolf certainly wasn't responding to external
agression. Meanwhile the British, Americans and Soviets had war
imposed on them, including the attrition endured in several major
defeats (especially in the Russian case) yet still managed to beat the
people who set the agenda. While I'm sure the individual Luftwaffe
pilots, groundstaff and aircrew did everything that could reasonably
expected, the higher direction and staff work of the Luftwaffe was
observably inferior to that achieved by their enemies. I agree with
Mr Dillard amout this issue, I'm afraid. They controlled the
development of hostilities in every case, and they lost in the end.

Something graphically demonstrated during the Hague
conference of Sept 3 1940 where Goering , Kesselring etc
basically declared victory over the RAF annoincing that they
weredown to their last 100 fighters and all that was needed to
finish the job was a series of raids on London to flush out the
last reserves.

My fellow commanders, we are now on the brink of victory. An assault and an
invasion of England is now more promising than ever before. Our intelligence
has now informed us that the RAF is now down to less than a hundred fighter
aircraft, the airfields protecting London are out of action because of the
superb and accurate bombing of our bomber forces, their communications are
in disarray, and now we are told, their air commanders are arguing with each
other.

Only Sperle who had actually spoken to the aircrews engaged in combat
and knew of the true losses of the Luftwaffe demurred .

Keith