Old July 29th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Cecil E. Chapman

Default Looking for the first plane

I won't be getting it for a couple of years and whatever I picked would be
an older plane. It will be for (or slightly before) my 50th birthday.

I wanted to ask what the group thought about a Cherokee 140 as a first
plane? In talking with my fellow CFI's most of them think I would find the
climb performance too much of a dog to be useful for even pleasure flying.
Some have suggested a Warrior, instead.

Of course there is always the venerable grin 172 but it would have to be
at least an N model. I'd like to head for a C-182 but it is a little more
out of the wallet than I was planning for, although I've flown them and
greatly admire their versatility in terms of power.

Ideas regarding the Cherokee 140 (which has a 150 HP I believe?) .????

Thanks in advance

--
=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman

Certificated Flight Instructor
Commercial Pilot, ASEL - Instrument Rated
Reid-Hillview Airport, San Jose, California

Member of:
National Association of Flight Instructors (NAFI)
Airplane Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)
Experimental Pilots Association (EAA)

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -