Old July 30th 03, 07:56 PM
Drew Hamilton

Larry Dighera wrote:
pour beer down their throat? No. Jay just had a party, and for those
people who were planning on staying over, or those people who weren't
flying, there was some beer available.

Unfortunately, Mr. Honeck's worldwide public advertisement made no
mention of any such restrictions.

Why should it have? In a world where personal responsibility still meant
something, Jay would not have been responsible for imposing, or
even mentioning such restrictions.

Listen, even accepting your theory about Jay's ulterior motives for
hosting a party, his advertisement was directed at pilots, who know
full well when they can drink and when they can not.

A _publicly_ advertised tailhookesque marketing campaign is still a
damaging image of airmen, especially at this time of public fear and
distrust of airmen and small airplanes incited by the news media
seeking sensational stories.

You talk about his "tailhookesque" marketing campaign as if people will
suddenly find themselves in Iowa City with a beer in their stomachs,
wondering how it got in there, and unable to fly. Pilots are all big
boys. We know not to drink and fly. How many pilots do you suppose
were doing their flight plans, and went something like this: "Direct
to WEUYD intersection at 6500 feet, then over to the Iowa VOR, and
then pop into Iowa City for a few beers, and then call up terminal
and get vectors for KOSH"? Of course not. People who decided that
they were going to go to the party might have then decided to help out
Jay by spending the night at his hotel. And what's wrong with that?

Either that, or they will say "Well, I'd like to go to the party, but
I'm not interested in staying over in Iowa City, so I won't drink any
beer. I'll just say hi and then keep on going to Oshkosh.

Or "I'd like to go to the party but I am not interested in helping Jay
out so I'll just go to the Best Western instead" (do they have Best
Westerns in the USA?)

Basically, nobody is going to be "stranded" anywhere. Jay did not
trick anybody into doing anything.

PS, who the hell says "airmen" anymore, anyway?

Um, the FAA?

Well, according to Transport Canada, I only have a license to fly
"aeroplanes". That doesn't mean that anybody actually uses that
word.

- awh