Old October 13th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Default What's in a tailwheel????

DonMorrisey wrote:
All my flying is in nosewheel airplanes so I know nothing about the
workings of tailwheels and this is not a question about differences
between nosewheel and tailwheel. The airplane I am building is a
tailwheel airplane (Bushcaddy R-120) and I have no trepidation about
mastering a tailwheel plane. I am starting my endorsement training
very soon and I am sure that if I practise enough, pay attention and
maintain my focus that I will do just fine with it.

I have been looking at various tailwheels. My kit came with an 8"
Matco pneumatic tailwheel and costs about $220 by itself. I have heard
people talk about Scott tailwheels and looked at the Scott 3200, which
I guess is the somewhat equivalent size to the one I have. The cost
however of the Scott tailwheel is $2000. This blows my mind. They
both look very similar. What could possibly make that Scott tailwheel
so expensive?

Thanks. Don...Mostly just one word--CERTIFIED--plus it is well built..