Old July 31st 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead144

Default Refinishing a Wood Prop

On Jul 31, 9:19*am, " wrote:
On Jul 30, 6:47 pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:

Hey, Kyle...

Don't laugh, but give JB Weld a try :-)

Yeah, I know... hell of a ding. *Big enough so that we're talking real
divots here. *The patch had to have some serious structural strength.
Used a dental pick to create a key, added the JB Weld in three
applications, about twenty minutes apart, coarsely finished with a
rasp between layers 1-2 & 2-3. *Let it cure about a week.

Use the water trick to make sure you've got the contour right. *(ie,
arrange the thing so a flow of water across the divot catches the
light, tells you when there's no *difference in contour between the
original surface and the divot. *Use a sponge. *W&D paper on a
stick.) *All cleaned up (your FINGERS are more accurate than your
eyes), you can return the balance to near-zero by tapping lead foil
into a drilling on the tip, to zero-zero with PAINT when you blacken
the back-side.

I'm sorry to hear about the arm but damn happy to know it isn't
catching :-)

-Bob

I don't know what part of the countryyou live in Kyle but if you were
close to TN I'd make a trip to your homebase and help out just to pull
a mold off half of your prop. :-).FWIW don't rule out having a local
E.A.A. chapter member that's into prop building hellping you out in
exchange for the opputunity to make a duplicate of your prop.

Joe