Old December 12th 20, 01:37 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kellett View Post
On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 3:32:18 PM UTC-5, Phoenix wrote:
Are there any CFI-Gs who have taught prospective pilots with Aspergers? I'd like to hear what their challenges are / were.

Aspberger's per se is no longer recognized as a specific syndrome in the spectrum of autism. We had a high functioning autistic student whose personality sucked, but he eventually could safely fly. And I was surprised to learn that there are autistic airline pilots, and very good ones - apparently one aspect of the syndrome is the intense intention to detail works well in some high functioning autistic persons in the cockpit!
Not infrequently Aspies feel the personalities of many "neurotypicals" suck, especially the petulant, truculent types. While their social skills might not be up to the standards of many you will rarely find the Aspie to be the trouble maker. They generally are the more "normal" types.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot.