Old April 15th 04, 11:12 PM
Bob's Your Uncle

"Tex Houston" wrote in message "Bob's Your Uncle"
wrote in message
In
In this reference, as is typical, the AOB who wrote the story got it

wrong.
the Pilots were known as 4, count 'em 4 -headed Monsters, 1.Pilot, 2.
Navigator, 3. Bombardier, 4. Radar Observer. They were RATED in all 4
Specialties and entitled to wear all 4 sets of Wings.

I know of two references to multi-headed monsters in B-47 units, one, the
original program (Mather AFB?) in which the bombardier/navigator/RADAR
observer graduates were called that and two, the follow-on where some of
these people went to flight school and became pilot/bombardier/navigators
also called triple headed monsters.

The 1st reference is to Navigators and Bombardiers of the WWII era who went
to Mather, NEVER were those AOB Graduate referrred to as 3-Headed monsters,
in SAC.
The Pilots, however, 1st went USAF Navigator School in Ellington AFB, TX,
then to Mather, to the same school and training,the Navigators and
Bombardiers went to for upgrading their WWII ratings.

In no case do I ever remember
four-headed term being used. Realize this though...back then I was mostly
an air defense type and was not that familiar with B-47 units.

If you were in SAC Tex, you would have known.

Too bad this
subject had not come up before as I had breakfast in Phoenix last month

with
a B-47 pilot.

Trust me.

Regards,