Old October 17th 20, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

Default Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

At 16:33 17 October 2020, Eric Greenwell wrote:
The problem was likely the Blanik tailwheel, which can be damaged
easily in a two-point or tail-first landing. How to train pilots for
two-point or tail first landings when you only have a Blanik? I never
figured out how to do it in our club with our L13, so tried to compensate
with ground training while they were learning, and more advice when
they got their own glider.

Hmmm... I went solo (in 1977) in a Blanik, having been taught to
always do a "fully-held-off" landing, something which I have been keen
to impress upon my own pupils as a very active instructor since 1983.

I don't remember the club ever having any problems with Blanik tail gear,
although I did (several years later, as club secretary) arrange for the
a/c
to be written off by insurers for main gear damage (from rolling across
ruts hidden in long grass). (Not too difficult at the time, as I think
insurers were very anxious about fatigue life of the Blanik spars!)