Old May 5th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Scared of mid-airs

Yes, I can speak from experience about the aircraft not moving in your
windscreen! I've been involved in a situation once where ATC pointed
out this other aircraft, "N12345, traffic 1 mile, 10:00, indicates 4500"
which happened to be MY altitude. I looked and saw it, was briefly
mesmerized and then nosed down as quickly as I could! I think we had
about 400-500 feet between us! Toooooo close for me! I'd always heard
about the "it doesn't move" theory, but to see it in practice was a good
thing to cement it in my brain...next time, a faster reaction! A
GREAT learning experience for me! It also cemented my belief in using
flight following even more firmly!

Chris G.

And, yes, all is well since I am still here to tell about it.

Guy Elden Jr wrote:
My instructor always told me to look for an object in the sky that does
not appear to be moving. If you see that, do something immediately,
because you are dead-on a collision course.