Old July 5th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Landings Carthage, Jackson and Madison MS - Video

On Jul 5, 12:18*pm, "BT" wrote:
You are getting a lot of flying in... good for you.. but I tend to chuckle
when you call 3000x50 a short field runway.. or were you just practicing the
technique there.

Just for fun.. look up 0B8, 1935x40, or 7B3, 2100x170. Even the cross wind
runway in AUG is 2700, with cliffs to each end. The airport sits on top of a
hill.
BT

Yeah, I figured that somebody would get a chuckle. Short is
"relative" especially to the bird one flies.

Shortest I have done is 2900 however as you can see in the video,
really, distance wasn't that much a factor as I had the plane stopped
well before the halfway point. Temp was nearing 90 and density
altitude was just over 2100 feet which is unusually high down this way
since the field elevation isn't that high. Durn thermals over the
runway kept the plane from landing, just didn't want to stop flying
even with my airspeed at 55 knots over the numbers.

For me, it was more of a practice on the narrow part of the runway as
that was the narrowest runway I have landed on and that seem to be a
little disconcerting on the peripheral vision aspect of landing.

I'd suspect no option of coming up short without getting wet at
0B8 :-))