Old October 8th 03, 03:39 AM
The Enlightenment

(N-6) wrote in message . com...
For the experts:

As made obvious by its wings, the Ta-152H was designed as a
high-altitude interceptor. But I am interested in how the Ta-152H
handled at low-to-medium altitudes. How did the Ta-152H compare with
the Fw-190D at such alts? I suppose the ultra-long wings of the Ta
considerably reduced rollrate? Did the Ta have increased
manuverability/tighter turning circle at low alts? (Was wing-loading
increased or decreased?) What about low-speed & stall characteristics?

From what I've gleaned form this newsgroup the TA152 had the following
characteristics.
1 The large laminar flow wings gave The TA152 good manoeverability
unlike the the FW190D had reduced manoeverability compared to the
radial engined FW190A becuase it has the same wings but a heavier
engine leading to high wing loading.
2 Because of their large span the roll rate was reduced compared to
the 190D which itself had less than the FW190A (regarded as one of
the fastest rollers of the war)
3 The laminar flow wing and the powerfull engine gave the TA152 a
high speed and a high rate of climb. The engine had both Water
Methanol MW50 boosting for low altitudes and GM1 Nitrous oxide
boosting for high altitudes.
4 The aircraft had a pretty good range.

TA152s were used to protect Me262 on takeoff and landing becuase the
underdeveloped Jumo 004B Jet engines had very restricted acceleration
and could easily be bounced by allied aircraft. It is said that when
TA152s were in the air no Me262s were ever lost.

The aircarft could opperate at 470mph and at altitudes of nearly
45,000 ft and had a pressursied cabin. It was designed to take on
B29s. With an Armament of 4 x 20mm and 1 x 30mm cannon it had the
power to do so.