Old May 16th 04, 08:16 AM
Boomer

is there a formula or chart for figuring KEAS?

--

Curiosity killed the cat, and I'm gonna find out why!
"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Stickney wrote:

In article ,
"John Carrier" writes:

snip

As to "very easily flown higher and faster" the J-79 would experience

burner
blow out between 65-70,000 feet and the engines would have to be shut

down
approaching 75,000 because their minimum fuel flow settings would be

too
high and cause overtemp. (Greenameyer intended to modify the fuel

control
and use specially formulated fuel to allow the engine to run longer

until
shutdown required in his zoom climb.)

That would be higher and faster at the same time - One very
interesting bit from the F-104A (-19) engine's SAC Chart, Jun 1970,
(If you need to see it, I'll be glad to E-mail you a copy)
Is that the ceiling is increasing as it approaches Mach 2,0/66,000'.
That's about 320 KEAS. As far as the engine is concerned, it's
being delivered 320 Kt/Sea Level conditions from teh inlet. They sure

seem
to run O.K. in that range. Of course, if you're slower, it'll be a
_lot_ different. But that's the point - With the -19 engines F-104A,
it had the power to go a lot faster than its flight limits would
allow. So it had the potential to, if you were ignoring the limits,
deliver some astounding performance.

There didn't seem to be that much problem with a J79 above 60 Kft -
the B-58 on a high altitude bomb run at Mach 2.0 would be over the
target at 64,000'.

Walt Bjorneby must be busy, or I'm sure by now he'd have mentioned his

cruising in
his F-104A w/-19 from Tyndall to Homestead at M2.0 and FL730 (he'd filed

IFR at
1,120 KTAS and that altitude). I believe he said he was using about 3/4

AB and
burning 6,000 pph.

Guy