Old August 4th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Ref:DUI

On Aug 3, 6:48*pm, (DaveB) wrote:
About 35 years ago (during my drinking days) I flew a couple times
with a fellow that would drink beer while flying.

We were flying out of a small airport in Alabama and I really didn't
think much of it. Now after being sober for a long time and a little
older and still alive I realize how crazy that was.
Daveb

Dave
I knew a guy in Calif who had a reputation of drinking while crop
dusting with helicopter. I passed it off as just gossip until one day
when I was working a field and his rig pulled in and he began flying
the same field I was. I walked over and chatted with him to see what
the deal was. Turned out the farmer had called us both just to make
sure his field got sprayed. The guy asked what I was going to do and I
said I had already sprayed half of the field and was going to finish.
What he did was up to him. So, he pulls a beer out of the little
cooler in his cockpit, offers me one which I declined, and proceeds to
drink one while he gets a load of chemical and starts to spray where I
had already worked!
I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I did call a friend of mine
with the FAA and advised him what I had seen. Not sure if any action
was ever taken as I was never contacted about it by anyone.