Old August 4th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Ref:DUI

On Aug 4, 10:48*am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
DaveB wrote:
About 35 years ago (during my drinking days) I flew a couple times
with a fellow that would drink beer while flying.

We were flying out of a small airport in Alabama and I really didn't
think much of it. Now after being sober for a long time and a little
older and still alive I realize how crazy that was.
Daveb

Also, 35 years ago a DUI was no worse for you record than a speeding
ticket. MADD did what they set out to do and to a point it has probably
made us safer on the road. Like all groups that have a mission though
MADD has gone a little overboard and taken the politicians with them.

For sure alcohol related road accidents have been reduced by more than
half, thanks to organizations like MADD. There seems to a positive
relationship between any level of serum alcohol and reaction times,
but it gets to be serious enough to affect driving at the high 0.0X
levels. I think, for the record, that driving after giving a pint of
blood is pretty much like driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.05
for normal sized people, and I think pilots should stay below
something like 4000 feet for 3 or 4 days after donating blood, for
that matter. I think the USAF prohibits its pilots from being blood
donors.